Welcome to the songsets page.
If you know the songset you want click on the list on the right. If not there's a list with longer descriptions below.
The songs are organised into songsets (in a parallel universe they would be albums and people would pay for them). The earlier numbered ones are convenient collections of separate songs; the later ones were planned as themed song cycles and, by golly, that's how they turned out. I expect future songsets will be of a similar nature.
Each songset page has these features:
- a Wimpyplayer that lets you hear the songs, nice and streamed on broadband. You can download them as mp3s as well, if you should so wish
- lyrics for each song just a click away
- notes that give you some insight into why I wrote the damned things in the first place
- credits, usually just me and my faithful guitars, sequencer and sound modules, although sometimes there are proper musicians involved.
Go on - have a listen.
- 'Pictures at an Exhibition', only less so.
- it's a past, but not much of one.
- the one about going on a journey, you know, through life and everything.
- it's got songs based on the Zodiac, which seemed like a good idea at the time.
- inspired by walking the Suffolk coast. Co-written with Chris, there are lots of watery images,
if not eyes.
- Wrapping up the older songs and - whoa - did someone mention a musical?
- Still recording despite life seeming to pass me by.
- Songs recorded in deepest Devon with Chris, so at least the arrangements are interesting.
- got no inspiration? Then take a some old song fragments and finish them off with your new-found maturity.
- First attempts at home recording and latter day attempts at making them sound better.
- Holding on in quiet desparation as the Floyd once said.
- For what is a man, if he has not written a love song, or indeed fourteen of them?
- Look out, here comes the first song cycle.
- At last he's in a proper studio.
- What's sung in the bedsit should stay in the bedsit.
- OK so the honeymoon period is over - what does he do now?
- it's the first attempt at songwriting and all that implies.